The stock dome itself is quite well made, but we identified some points to need some improvement – mostly related to the harsh conditions we face in the winter (high snow, fast winds and low temperatures).
The first issue we will solve is related to the shutter mechanism. This was identified through a small incident: we had some very strong winds a few weeks ago, and the wind managed to lift the shutter a little bit so that the drive gear jumped out of the gear rack.
We are currently investigating on how to improve this situation. The Problem is, that the shutter has too much play, and therefore it is possible that the gear jumps out of the gear rack.
We think that in this case the wind entered the dome through the several gaps at the shutter and at the gear rim.
To prevent that the wind pull through the dome in the future and to prevent drift snow to enter the dome, we installed a rubber lip at the shutter.
We also plan to install similar lips inside and outside the gear rim, to prevent that insects have easy play when entering the dome.
Another improvement dedicated to the gear rim, was to exchange all screws with stainless steel screws. We also reworked all gear rim mounting holes to make sure, the rim is 100% even and therefore the dome can run very smooth and the driving gear doesn’t get detached from the gear rim.